Community Volunteer Income Tax Program
Let Us Help with your taxes...
COMMUNITY VOLUNTEER INCOME TAX PROGRAM
The Help Centre delivers the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) that is in collaboration with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Last year the Help Centre prepared over 2,000 tax returns bringing in excess of $5.5 million dollars back into the community.
The Help Centre offers FREE income tax filing services for low-income residents in Northumberland County.
Family size includes an individual, or a couple, and their dependents:
- 1 person-$35,000
- 2 person- $45,000
- 3 person-$47,500
- 4 person-$50,000
- 5 person-$52,500
- More than 5 person-$52,500, plus $2,500 for each additional person
We are not able to prepare returns for individuals who have:
- Self-employment income
- Business or rental income and expenses
- Capital gains or losses
- Employment expenses
- Filed for bankruptcy and have not been discharged and are deceased in the year
- Deceased individuals
By filing your income tax return you are automatically entitled to receive other credits or benefits that may be relevant to you:
- Child Tax Benefit (CTB): the amount varies depending on your income
- Senior Homeowner's Property Grant Tax: amount varies up to $500
- Old Age Security Guaranteed Income Supplement: amount varies depending on income
- GST – Federal: amount varies depending on income and it is received quarterly
- Trillium – Provincial: amount varies depending on income and it is received monthly or lump-sum
Visit us at 1005 Elgin Street, Suite 301 (Fleming Building) to start the process and bring your income slips and/or any other income-related documents, as well as your medical, rental and day-care receipts, tuition and education amounts and charitable donations. During peak times the process may take at least 2 weeks.
The Help Centre also offers a while-you-wait service at our outreach clinics in Port Hope, Warkworth, Campbellford, Brighton and Colborne by appointments only. We also offer our intake services for residents of the Golden Plough, Legion Village, Streamway Villa, Halcyon Place, and Port Hope Terrace. Returns will NOT be e-filed until picked up and signed for.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 905-372-2646.